Webinar: Creating Your Dear Expectant Letter
|| Apr 24, 2019 11:00 AM|
||Apr 24, 2019 12:30 PM|
Call-In Instructions Will Be Emailed After Registration
Introducing the Adoption Conversation
In this webinar, specifically for pre-adoptive parents, we will go through the process of creating your Dear Expectant Parent(s) letter. Learn how to begin your letter and which topics to address. Gain insight and ideas for the types of pictures and language to use. Example profiles will be shown to give participants an idea of content and layout. You will hear directly from a birth/first parent about what to do and what not to do with your letter/profile. We will also offer insight into how this letter is part of your future child’s story and incorporate suggestions for how to be honest and set the tone for a relationship with your child’s first/birth family that they and you can be proud of later.
Participants will be able to:
- Create a properly formatted Dear Expectant Parent(s) letter.
- List necessary points and topics to include in their profile (child care, race/diversity, open adoption).
- Give examples of the importance of appropriate language.
- Identify what to include and what not to include.
- Apply insight from the lived experience of expectant parents that will help you understand what they are likely to find welcoming and what might not be effective from their point of view.
Instructor: Katie Stickles-Wynen, MSW ACSW #34328
Position: Adoption Case Manager/Pre-Placement Specialist
Experience: Katie is a transracial/international Colombian adoptee who has worked with the adoption community since 2006. One-on-one and in group settings, Katie has worked with adoptees ranging from age 5-55, and both transracial and same-race adoptive parents. Katie leads the Adult Adoptees of Color support group in the East Bay and supports adult adoptee programming for the annual Pact Family Camp.
$35 per person non-member
Special pricing Pact member receive 65% discount.