Webinar: A Developmental Approach to Transracial Adoption
|| Sept 30, 2020 11:00 AM|
||Sept 30, 2020 12:30 PM|
Call-In Instructions Will Be Emailed After Registration
At Pact, we believe that white parents must educate themselves about both race and racism as well as understanding white privilege and interrogating their own whiteness. Are you planning a transracial adoption, or are you already parenting across racial lines? Join us as we hear from adult adoptees and a white adoptive parent whose families were formed by transracial adoption. We will talk briefly about present day racism and racial tensions, hear from panelists and explore what families can do to best support children of color.
Participants will be able to:
1. Explain how race matters in adoption.
2. List and describe the four current racial tensions in the world: the internalized, the institutional, the interpersonal and the structural.
3. Learn from adoptees and adoptive parents.
4. Review the federally-approved transracial education program provided by Pact, An Adoption Alliance: Building Community Across Cultures.
5. Obtain concrete steps that will help them prepare and support a child(ren) of color.
Instructor: Katie Wynen, MSW
Position: Adoption Social Worker
Experience: Katie is an MSW, with 13 years of experience working with adoptees, birth/first parents and adoptive families. Katie works directly with families in transracial adoptions and families in same race adoptions. Katie runs a group for adult adoptees of color and has experience in working with adopted youth in group settings. Katie is an international, transracial adoptee.
$36 per person non-member
Special pricing Pact member receive 25% discount.
Please choose carefully when registering for Pact events. Pact is not in a position to refund workshop or event registration fees.